Name Change Checklist

How to Prepare for a Name Change in Florida

Florida law allows adults who satisfy certain requirements to change their names by filing a petition with the court. Generally speaking, a qualified petitioner can change his or her name to anything he or she chooses. For more information on how to get a name change in Florida, please read our full discussion on the subject. Meanwhile, here are some things you can do to ensure that your name change application is processed correctly.

Hire an Attorney

The process of changing your name can be complicated because of all of the information you have to provide when your petition is filed. In most cases, you will be asked to file specific and detailed court documents containing information about you going back as far as the day you were born. You will also be required to submit to an FBI criminal background check. This process is not as arduous as it sounds, but it is important to make sure that the information you provide is accurate and complete. If not, you risk lengthy delays and your application could be rejected completely. An experienced name change attorney can help ensure that your paperwork is correct and that the process runs more smoothly.

Gather Your Records

Here is a checklist of items that you may be required to submit to the court alongside your petition for a name change. Now is the time to begin gathering this information so that you are ready in the event that your name change attorney asks for it.

 Birth Certificate

 Father’s Full Name

 Mother’s Full Name

 Mother’s Maiden Name

 Spouse’s Name

 A List of Your Addresses Since Birth

 Previous Court Orders Changing Your Name

 A List of Your Previous Names

 A List of Your Employers for the Past Five Years

 Professional Licenses

 Criminal History

 Bankruptcy Orders

 Money Judgments Against You

Make a Notification List

Once your name change has been finalized, it’s important to notify the appropriate agencies and institutions right away. Making a list of them now will help you to stay organized and to get your official records updated faster. Some organizations you may want to notify include the United States Social Security Administration, the Department of Motor Vehicles, the passport office, and your bank or financial institution.

Taking these steps now can help make the process of changing your name in Florida faster and more efficient. If you want to learn more about how to obtain a Florida name change, contact Fort Lauderdale name change attorney Andrew Foster to schedule your initial consultation today.

The Law Offices of S. Andrew Foster represents clients throughout South Florida including Aventura, Cooper City, Coral Springs, Davie, Doral, Fort Lauderdale, Hallandale Beach, Hialeah, Hollywood, Kendall, Miami, Miami Lakes, Miramar, North Miami, Parkland, Pembroke Pines, Plantation, Sunrise, Tamarac, and Weston.