Name Change

Cooper City Name Change Attorney

How do I change my name in Florida?

There are two ways to legally change your name in Florida. The first way is to have it done as part of a divorce – the wife in a divorce case can request to have her maiden name or her former name, prior to marriage, restored.

The only other way to legally change your name in Florida is to file a sworn and verified petition for a name change with the clerk of court in the county where you reside. Unless you are restoring a former name, you will have to submit your fingerprints for a criminal background check. 

The process is not overly difficult, but it can be long and complicated because of the extensive background information that is required. Having an experienced name change attorney on your side can help ensure that the process goes smoothly and that there are no delays caused by errors or omissions in the application. The upside is that, if everything goes as planned, you can generally change your name to anything you want.

If you want to change your name or simply have more questions about the process, contact Cooper City name change attorney Andrew Foster to schedule your initial consultation today.

The Law Offices of S. Andrew Foster represents clients throughout South Florida including Aventura, Cooper City, Coral Springs, Davie, Doral, Fort Lauderdale, Hallandale Beach, Hialeah, Hollywood, Kendall, Miami, Miami Lakes, Miramar, North Miami, Parkland, Pembroke Pines, Plantation, Sunrise, Tamarac, and Weston.